Utility is responsible for providing “clean” voltage. Customer is responsible for not causing excessive current harmonics. Utility can only be fairly judged if customer is within its current limits. Harmonics cause voltage and current problems in power systems. IEEE Std 519-1992 provides a basis for limiting harmonics. Multiple methods exist for mitigating harmonics and “one size does not fit all”.
Harmonics – it’s not that complicated
Which came first?
In this case…the Egg!
- Current distortion causes Voltage distortion
- Voltage distortion is created by pulling distorted currentthrough an impedance
- Amount of voltage distortion depends on:
- System impedance
- Amount of distorted current pulled through the impedance
- If either increases, VTHD will increase
Click here to read the full article. (PDF)
© 2011 Eaton Corporation. All rights reserved. Eaton Proprietary